How to get out of the middle-of-the-year Senior funk 

Evin Nesburn, Editor-in-Chief

Most Seniors are stuck in this weird place, waiting for college decisions, while simultaneously trying to keep up with their workload. This place can feel weird for many people, especially since so many decisions are up in the air for a few more months. Beside for students who have accepted an Early Action offer or are binded to their Early Decision school, many students feel lost this quarter. 

In reaction to this, many students stop working as hard because they believe that everything has been sent to colleges. But actually, it is still crucial to keep the same GPA to show colleges that you take academics seriously, even in your last semester of your senior year, and it may even influence your decision if you are waitlisted or deferred. But the hard thing is that is seems students have lost this motivation in a time of major uncertainty and have been stuck in a rut.  

To combat this sense of uncertainty, I have created a list of five things that may help you through this time.

1. Think about what you actually can control. You can control your grades and keeping up with your coursework. This takes away from the uncertainty of a college decision by pointing to something that is within your control. I believe that this will help you continue to work hard. Think about this the next time you put off an assignment or “save it for later.”
  2. Find time to take care of yourself. This can take on many forms– from getting your endorphins flowing by exercising to reading a book to reserving a spa day. There are many ways in which you can mentally help yourself, but do not be afraid to ask for help from others. 
  3. Do something you normally would not. And by this, I do not mean something unsafe or something that puts you in a compromised place. But trying something new, whether that means cooking for the first time or trying to surf, is a good way to get out of your head, while developing a new interest. This may help break the funk you are in during this uncertain time.
  4. Make a gratitude list. As co-Editor-in-Chief Amanda Swartz puts it, it is important to acknowledge the things you are grateful for, no matter how big or small. This will help you recognize how much you have to be thankful for in a time of waiting.
  5. Remind yourself of how much work you’ve put in these four years of high school. We have all put in a lot of work to get to where we are now. Remind yourself that you have worked so hard and now is the time where hard work pays off! College letters are only a few months away and you can do this!