Inside the VALT: January 21 – 26

Colin Beazley, Staff Writer

Last week, we celebrated our first ever Winter Homecoming, packing the gym and the stands at Ring for two basketball and two soccer games. The event was a massive success, punctuated by the long-awaited reappearance of Patriot Pete, an incredible shot from half court from sixth-grader Monty Koonce, and wins from Girls Soccer and Girls Basketball. The Navy was excellent throughout all four games, and on the behalf of everyone playing, thank you for your support!
Girls Soccer
            The Girls Soccer team continued league play last week, starting with a Tuesday night showdown with powerhouse Sierra Canyon. Sierra had many of the best chances of the night, but our defense never broke, and Kayla Davis (’21) kept yet another clean sheet in a 0-0 draw. Goals were hard to come by on Thursday at Brentwood, and the game swung in Brentwood’s favor in a 1-0 decision. However, on Saturday, in front of a raucous Ring Family Field crowd, the floodgates poured open, as the Patriots scored five in the first half en route to a 5-3 victory over Crossroads. Senior KaiLan Mackey scored twice in the first seventeen minutes, finishing the hat trick by the start of halftime in a dominant offensive performance. Her younger sister JiaLian (’23) also got on the scoresheet, and Colette Samek (’22) scored as well. Next week, the Patriots start on the road on Tuesday night in a rematch against Crossroads, before returning home on Thursday for a meeting with Campbell Hall. The game starts at 3:15, so come out and support!
Boys Soccer
            The Boys Soccer team had a testing week last week. Tuesday was a defensive battle, finishing in a 0-0 tie, largely thanks to the efforts of center backs Tahj Maheswaran (’20) and Derrick Leroy (’22) and left back Peter Sussman (’20), who was always in the fray. Thursday was much of the same, another defensive struggle, but Brentwood broke through with just over ten minutes left and held on for a 1-0 victory. Saturday was the final home game of the season for the team, in front of a large home crowd for Winter Homecoming. However, Crossroads ruined the occasion with two quick first half goals, despite our team dominating much of the game. The game ended 3-0 to the Roadrunners, but the opportunities were much more evenly spread. Next week brings two challenges against two of the top teams in the league, starting on Tuesday night against Crossroads on a field roughly the size of a foosball table. Thursday is a grudge match against Campbell Hall, as we’ll hope to finally make the offensive breakthrough. Thank you all for your support on Saturday, and all season! We really appreciate it.
Girls Basketball
            The Girls Basketball team continued a dominating run last week, picking up two big league wins at home against Paraclete and Campbell Hall. On Tuesday, dominant defense was the story, as the Patriots did not allow a basket in the second half, giving up only four points off free throws. Senior co-captain Katie Topacio outscored Paraclete by herself, hitting six threes. Karlee White (’22) and Kayla Keshmeshian (’22) both matched Paraclete’s total, scoring 17 points each, as the Girls Team cruised to a 63-17 victory. Friday night’s game was much more competitive, but Viewpoint pulled away in the second half in a 54-42 victory. Seniors Nicole Emi, Vanessa Ogbu, and Katie Topacio led the team to the victory on their Senior Night. The Patriots continue league play next week with a home game Tuesday night at 5:30 against Brentwood, before going on the road on Thursday night against Windward. Good luck to the Pats!
Boys Basketball
            The Boys Basketball team played twice last week, engaging in two absolute battles against Paraclete and Campbell Hall. On Tuesday night, the game was back and forth throughout, with just a few points separating the teams. Osiris Nalls (’23) hit a long three to tie the game up at 56, and Dante Ogbu (’23) hit a clutch free throw at the end of the game to clinch a 63-60 victory. Senior Andrew Reyes was the leading scorer, scoring 19 and adding six rebounds for the victory. Friday night’s game seemed like a blowout for most of the game, as Campbell Hall jumped out to a 49-30 lead near the end of the third quarter. However, Giovanni Goree (’23) hit a buzzer-beating four point play at the end of the quarter, and Viewpoint used the momentum on a 15-0 run into the fourth. Freshman Joseph Habis hit a clutch three to pull within two, but the team was unable to close the final gap, as Campbell Hall ended up the victors by a 68-60 margin. Tuesday night is Senior Night for the team, as Andrew Reyes and Roy Numa are recognized for their contributions to the program before the game against Brentwood. The game tips at 7:00, but the recognition is at 6:30. On Thursday night, the team goes on the road, travelling to Windward in a matchup against one of the best teams in California. Good luck, and let’s go Pats!
Dance
            The Viewpoint Dance Company had their Senior Night last Friday night before the Boys game, and culminating with performances at halftime. Congratulations to Lucia Reynolds, Sophia Clayman, Stella Campbell, Alyssa Frederick, Mia Sawicki, Malia Goldman, and Bailey Feinberg on two successful performances!
“Super proud of our Navy and Student Section, glad we are finishing the Winter Season strong! Congratulations to all the Winter Sports teams on a successful Winter Homecoming, and we are excited to continue to support throughout the rest of the season.” – Joe Terenzio ’20, Navy Captain