Inside the VALT: January 27 – February 2

Colin Beazley, Staff Writer

The end of January saw the beginning of the end of the Winter Sports season, with two league games for each team. The week was challenging, with a soccer tripleheader at Crossroads, and meetings with Windward and Brentwood for basketball. Next week is the last week of the season for our teams, but playoffs are guaranteed for the Girls Soccer team, and still possible for both Basketball teams. Good luck to everyone as we go into playoffs!

Girls Soccer

The Girls Soccer team started the week on the road, playing the third game of a tripleheader at Crossroads, and grabbing us our first win with a 3-1 victory. The game was dominated by the Patriots from the very beginning, starting with an early KaiLan Mackey (’20) goal. Fellow co-captain Sarah Konopaske (’20) also scored for the Patriots, and freshman Merista Quetzal added the third. On Thursday, the team was back at home against Campbell Hall, but they struggled to make the breakthrough. However, KaiLan scored a brace in the second half, to lead the team to a 2-0 victory. Going into the last week of league play, the team sits in third place in league play, and would move up into second with a win over Windward on Tuesday. Tuesday is not only a league game for the Patriots, but it’s Senior Night as well, so come out and support seniors KaiLan and Sarah at the game! The game starts at 3:15, with recognition to follow.

Boys Soccer

The Boys Soccer team also began our week with a game at Crossroads, but we were unable to break through the Crossroads defense. However, a valiant defensive effort led by Derrick Leroy (’22) kept the game close until the end, ending in a 1-0 defeat. On Thursday, we finally put the ball in the back of the net early at Campbell Hall, when RL Spivak (’20) stole the ball from the goalkeeper and volleyed it home. After conceding, junior Max James scored his fourth goal of the season, but we lost the lead for good after Campbell Hall scored on a penalty kick. The game ended as a 3-2 loss, and we go into our final game at Windward playing for pride, and for the eight seniors playing in their last game for the program.

Girls Basketball

The Girls Basketball team played two of the best teams in the league last week, but came up short against both Brentwood and Windward. Against Brentwood, the game was constantly back and forth, and Karlee White (’22) scored a layup to pull the Patriots within one with 3.1 seconds left. However, the team’s buzzer beating attempt was unsuccessful, and the game ended in a 50-48 defeat. On Thursday, the team was led by 16 points from Kayla Keshmeshian (’22), and 11 from Karlee, but lost to one of the best teams in the nation in Windward. Next week, the team plays at Crossroads at 6:00 in their final league game, needing a win to go to playoffs. Good luck, and Let’s Go Pats!

Boys Basketball

The Boys Basketball team played against two excellent teams as well, battling with Brentwood and Windward last week. Giovanni Goree (’23) continued his excellent play, scoring 27 against Brentwood, while fellow freshman Dante Ogbu added 17. Against Windward, the team’s 54 points came from three players, led by 22 from Gio. Andrew Reyes (’20) caught fire from three point land, hitting seven threes for 21 points, while Dante poured in the remaining 11 points. Next week, the Patriots wrap up the regular season on the road Friday night against Crossroads, with tip off at 7:30, before hoping for an at large invitation to the postseason. Good luck to the team!

“Congrats to all of our Winter Sports teams for a great season, and good luck on your last couple of games. The Navy wants to see everyone come and support the Girls Soccer team on their Senior Night game on Tuesday!” – Lucia Reynolds ’20, Navy Captain