Resturant Review: Iroha Sushi of Tokyo

Photo+courtesy+of+Ventura+Blvd.+

Photo courtesy of Ventura Blvd.

Evin Nesburn, Editor-in-Chief

On Thursday, February 13th, the Editors-in-Chief of The Patriot as well as Ms. Kuehn embarked on a field trip to the Los Angeles Times as well as a sushi stop in Studio City.

After a successful and informative trip downtown at the Los Angeles Times printing factory, we headed to Iroha Sushi of Tokyo on our way back to Viewpoint. Iroha is about twenty minutes east of Calabasas (without 101 traffic, of course!). This makes it a convenient spot for any Viewpoint student who lives in the Valley.

From the moment we walked in, the service was great. We were immediately seated at the table we wanted and brought hot towels and ice water. Shortly after, we glanced at the ever-long menu (which included pictures of most of the items!) before deciding what we wanted to order. Amanda ordered the Iroha-famous sushi burger, which consists of two crispy rice “buns”, spicy tuna, tomato, lettuce, and onion. Ms. Kuehn went for the vegetarian option of a vegetable tempura roll, and lastly, Evin and Sela split albacore sashimi with crispy onion, spicy tuna and crispy rice cakes, and a shrimp tempura roll. The food for Evin, Sela, and Ms. Kuehn came fairly quickly, while Amanda had to wait a bit longer for the sushi burger. Our guess is that the intricacies of the burger take longer than the simple dishes to prepare. We were all very satisfied with our food. The portion sizes were good, the presentation stood out, and the actual taste was amazing. Some highlights included the sushi burger and albacore with crispy onion that is arranged to look like a rose. The amount of food we ordered was perfect for four people. We all felt satisfied, without feeling overstuffed like you do most of the time after a big sushi meal!

While Iroha can be a little pricey, our recommendation is to split and share family style. Ordering a few dishes and splitting ensures that everyone gets a taste of everything! For more picky eaters, one or two dishes are definitely enough, especially if you are ordering the sushi burger. Before ordering dessert, a cold towel was brought to us so we could wash off. We then proceeded to order mango and espresso ice cream mochi. While the mochi were bigger than normal size and definitely tasty, they did not justify the $4 price in my opinion. One would be better off ordering a dessert combination for $11 than one mochi for $4.

Overall, we would all go back to Iroha. The food was great and the service was fantastic. There is also convenient valet parking in front as well as parking along Ventura Boulevard. Iroha is located around lots of great shopping and other restaurants, making it a convenient spot for a day out!