Girls Volleyball’s Race for a League Championship

Peyton Rohr, Staff Writer

The Viewpoint Girl’s volleyball team is looking forward to an amazing year coming off a great season last year. They placed third in the Gold Coast League and made it to CIF playoffs dropping the first round game to Dos Pueblos, which came with the loss of 4 seniors. Coming into this year, the team had an infusion of freshman talent in the gym, including libero Kennedy Earls, opposite hitter Kapri Garnett, setter Lexi Miles, and defensive specialist Journey Brown. Led by a strong freshman group and a core of returning upper-classmen (Ava Gronemeyer, Kendall de Rivel, Kimia Afshari, Peyton Rohr, Ava Hermelee, and Caroline Jacobsen), the team is slated to have a history-making year.

With the exit of both Sierra Canyon and Paraclete from the Gold Coast League, league play is a battle for first through third place and the coveted playoff berths between Viewpoint, Windward, Brentwood, Campbell Hall, and Crossroads. With a tough stint of away games to start league play at Brentwood, Windward, and Crossroads, the patriots came up clutch and pulled out three wins to jump out to a 3-0 start. The game against Brentwood started out tough, with the patriots dropping the first two sets and digging themselves into a hole pretty early on. However, a late game effort from the seniors resulted in the Patriots winning the game in a do-or-die 5 set thriller. After that win, the Patriots traveled to Windward for the biggest game of the season so far. After losing the first set 22-25, the girls won 3 straight sets (25-17,28-26, 25-23) for a crucial league win. The match was highlighted by Ava Gronemeyer’s 14 kills and Journey Brown’s 4 aces.

Hoping to ride the momentum of an undefeated start, the volleyball team traveled to Crossroads on Wednesday, September 21 for yet another away league match. In front of the home crowd of Crossroads, Viewpoint came out strong and dominated the first set 25-11. The next two sets were nail biters with Viewpoint winning the second set 30-28 and dropping the third set 27-29. The patriots came back to win the fourth set 25-19 and make it through the tough set of away games. Their next game on September 27 at home against Campbell Hall was a heartbreaking 3 set loss (22-25, 28-30, 15-25) With a win against Campbell Hall, the girl’s volleyball team would have been in a great spot to win league, but the season is not over yet and they can still compete for a league championship by winning out and exacting revenge on Campbell Hall. The team is hoping to bounce back in their next game against Brentwood on September 29 at 4:30 in the PFAC. Come out and show some support for the team as they fight for their next league win!