Coachella? More like Earthchella

The Environmental Sustainability Council organizes Earchella event to raise awareness about environmental organizations.

Sela Diab, Arts & Entertainment Editor

The Viewpoint Environmental Sustainability Council (ESC) is at it again with the fourth annual Earthchella. The event – its name being a play off of the popular music festival “Coachella” – is held in Viewpoint’s ECOLET. From student performers to ice cream to possums, Earthchella spread awareness about environmental organizations and was a standout event this year for Middle and Upper schoolers.

Throughout the year, ESC is responsible for helping students realize the importance of saving the Earth. Earthchella is the biggest event of the year for ESC because they bring Viewpoint students and outside environmental organizations together.

“Earthchella was a very big undertaking, from getting all of the organizations to come, to sending many emails, it was a lot of work for a lot of months of the year,” ESC President Sophie Boock (’19) said.

Teachers, student volunteers, and members of the other environmental groups are in charge of various stations. Each booth has a fun activity for the attendees to enjoy such as painting, making bamboo straws, or even holding a real possum.

“Helping to preserve our planet and spreading awareness about the Earth is crucial because our generation is the last hope,” Boock (’19) said. “We are aware of all the problems and that there are solutions.”

While these activities are taking place, student performers are on the stage of the ECOLET singing or dancing. For example, Jordan Moore (’20), Alexis Shea (’20), and Sophie Behzadi (’19) sang together. The attendees enjoyed popcorn, ice cream, and a raffle that would allow them to win a brand-new, reusable HydroFlask.

While Earthchella may seem like a lighthearted, fun event, ESC is trying to get across a serious point to the Viewpoint students. After attending this event, many students are aware that they need to take into account what they do and what they use on a daily basis.

“It was really cool to see that students put on this event and that they are willing to put in a lot of hard work to show people that we can do more to save the Earth,” Ilia Wayans (’20) said.