Summer Vacation to School Convocation

Amanda Swartz and Evin Nesburn

Viewpoint’s entire student body, faculty, and administration kicked off the 2019-2020 school year with the annual tradition of convocation. Grades K-12 looked polished in their assembly dress attire. Seniors gathered to form a bridge under which the newest members of Viewpoint walked, the kindergarten class of 2032. The five-year-olds giggled and gave shy, but excited high-fives. The sounds of bagpipe music and enthusiastic chatter flooded the Paul Family Athletic Center.

After everyone was seated, a student representative from primary, lower, middle, and high school spoke about their “vision” for 2020. Answers ranged from being a good friend to thriving academically and setting new goals. Following students stating their visions for the upcoming school year, headmaster Mr. McKee presented Viewpoint teachers with the awards for their outstanding contribution. Mr. Rush received the August M. Watanabe MD Memorial Chair for Interdisciplinary Studies Award, Ms. Clark received the Handley Chair for American Studies, Ms. Conklin accepted the Spirit of Viewpoint Award, Ms. Iacoi was presented with the Excellence in Teaching Prize, Mrs. Cammins received the less than 10 years of service Viewpoint Excellence in Teaching Prize, and finally Ms. Schulhof received the over than 10 years of service Viewpoint Excellence in Teaching Prize.

Upper School President Sela Diab (‘20) presented a speech in which she recounted all of her Viewpoint memories since beginning in kindergarten. Some of her favorites included participating in The Great Pumpkin Day in primary and lower school and performing The Little Engine play in kindergarten. What Diab recounts most vividly is Viewpoint’s strong “sense of community” After the speech, Head of School, Mr. McKee made sure to take a moment to remind students to “realize that you are a part of a larger community than yourself”. 

Convocation concluded with the entirety of Viewpoint School singing the alma mater, an annual tradition that unites the Viewpoint community. As over 1,200 faculty, staff, and administrators sung in harmony, the school year’s themes of 2020 vision, values, and connection shone through.