Inside the VALT: October 6-12

Colin Beazley, Staff Writer

‘Twas a great week for Viewpoint Sports, as smoke cancellations could not stop our football and volleyball teams from racking up wins against Campbell Hall. Our cross country and girls tennis team also had success this week, with all teams gearing up for playoff runs in the coming weeks.

Football

It was the Niko Candido show for Viewpoint football, as Candido (’20) threw for two touchdowns and ran three more on his senior night, leading the Patriots to a 47-34 victory over league rival Campbell Hall. Niko also added two interceptions on defense, as well as a third unofficial pick on an attempted two-point conversion. CJ Carr (’21) caught 2 TDs for the Patriots, in just his second game with the team. The true turning point of the night was on defense, when junior Brady Nebens scooped up a Campbell Hall fumble and returned it 75 yards for a touchdown. Next Saturday, the Patriots travel to Temecula to play against the 6-1 Cornerstone Christian Crusaders.

Girls Volleyball

After 4 years of going the full five sets with Campbell Hall, Viewpoint Volleyball finally broke the curse, beating them in four (25-17, 20-25, 25-15, 26-24). Viewpoint was led to the win by captains Deja Bickers (’20) and Trinity Stanger (’21). The volleyball team has three games next week, playing at Brentwood on Monday, before playing Crossroads at home on Wednesday and Windward at home on Thursday. As well as being crucial for playoffs, Thursday will be Senior Night, so come out to honor our three seniors: Deja, Jordan Moore, and Eleya Avery-Ault!

Cross Country

The Boys Cross Country program and sophomore Colette Samek traveled to Central California this weekend, running in the 2019 ASICS Clovis Cross Country Invitational. Seniors Ronnie Orosky and Thomas Matthew both finished in the top-10 of the race, leading Viewpoint to a 4th overall finish (first out of Division 5 schools). A cool story of sportsmanship from the JV Race, as Davis Newman (’23) motivated one of his competitors in the last 800m to finish strong, with the two of them passing many other runners together. Earlier in the week, both the boys and girls programs competed against league opponents at Brentwood School, with the Girls taking fourth place and the Boys finishing in first. Next week, the program runs Sycamore Canyon, in a run that can be up to 15 miles. Good luck to the Pats!

Girls Tennis

The Girls Tennis team traveled to Crossroads on Tuesday, falling short by a score of 6-12. #1 doubles tandem of KJ Eilenberg (’20) and Dylan Armour (’21) swept all three of their matches, while #1 singles player Jessica Silverstein (’21) picked up a solid W in one of her singles matches. There were a lot of close sets played, and the girls will hope to return the favor when they host Crossroads on their Senior Day later this month. On Thursday afternoon, the girls hosted one of the best teams in California, playing against #6 ranked Campbell Hall at Calabasas HS. Hannah Keyes (’21) picked up the only victory on the day, but the team continues to show up, compete, and have fun while doing it. The Patriots play twice next week, Tuesday at Windward, and Thursday at the Calabasas High tennis courts against Sierra Canyon.

Navy Captain Quote: “Thank you all for coming out to the football game on Saturday, can’t wait to get an even better showing for homecoming. Let’s support our girls volleyball this week, and contribute to some W’s!” – Joe Terenzio (’20)