Inside the VALT: November 10-16

Colin Beazley, Staff Writer

This week was the last week before the official start of the Winter Season, but that didn’t stop the soccer teams from having preseason success, and the Cross Country team from advancing further in postseason play. The season officially kicks/tips off next week with six home games, so come out and support all the teams in action!

Cross Country

And we advance! Both the Boys and Girls Teams competed in Riverside on Saturday in CIF Prelims, both advancing to CIF Finals next weekend. The Boys finished their race in third place overall, led by top-12 finishes from Ronnie Orosky (’20), Thomas Matthew (’20), and Miles Clark (’21). This year’s JV Champion Davis Newman (’23) had a strong run as well, helping us advance. The Girls team also advanced to CIF Finals, finishing in tenth behind a third place finish from senior Lizzie Scott. The team consists of Lizzie , Colette Samek (’22), Amanda Hogan (’20), Ashley Beal (’22), Jadyn Danese (’23), Erin Beazley (’23), and Sofia Tapia (’23), so congratulations to the team, and best of luck next Saturday!

Boys Soccer

In our first scrimmage of the season, the Boys Soccer team drew with Buckley, as both sides had a goal apiece. Senior captain RL Spivak scored a penalty midway through the second half, and came inches away from scoring on multiple other occasions. In his first game in high school, Can Ureten (’23) made a number of key passes, and embarrassed a Buckley defender so badly that the defender had no choice but to foul the diminutive freshman.

As for a season preview, we go into the season with high expectations after a first round playoff exit last year. After years of being a young, growing team, a league title may be within reach, as the Patriots start seven seniors. We play two non-league matches next week, starting with a home game Tuesday against Malibu at 2:00 on Ring Family Field, and then followed by soccer’s version of Friday Night Lights at 4:30 on the blue turf at Chaminade. We understand that it’s impossible to see the first halves of home games with class, but come out and support the team Tuesday in the second!

Girls Soccer

The Girls Soccer team also scrimmaged last week, beating soccer powerhouse El Camino Real on Thursday Night by a scoreline of 1-0. Senior captain KaiLan Mackey scored the only goal of the game after stealing the ball from an Elco center back, while goalkeeper Kayla Davis (’21) kept a clean sheet for the Pats.

The team will look to continue a strong culture, passing it on to a very young side. Seniors KaiLan Mackey, Sarah Konopaske, and Amanda Hogan will look to lead the team to success in a difficult Gold Coast League, setting a good example for the squad’s seven freshmen, which includes KaiLan’s younger sister, JiaLian Mackey (’23). KaiLan will be the figurehead of the Patriot attack this year, although she will be helped by sophomore Colette Samek upon the completion of Cross Country season. The team jumps in headfirst to the season with three games this week, starting on the road Tuesday at 3:30 against Malibu. Thursday will be the team’s first home game, kicking off against Louisville at 3:15 on Ring Field, before finishing the week with a 10:00 AM Saturday home game against Cabrillo.

Boys Basketball

After months of practicing and waiting in anticipation, the Boys basketball team opens the season at home on Tuesday night against Shalhevet. The game starts at 5:00 PM in the PFAC, so be there, for the beginning of what promises to be a fun season.

Girls Basketball

The Girls basketball team is in action twice this week, opening their season with two consecutive home games. Thursday night is the first game, starting at 4:15 in the PFAC, against Kennedy High School. The team plays again on Saturday, with a noon tipoff against Nordhoff High School. However, this game will be in the Rasmussen Family Pavilion, by the Lower School Building. Best of luck to the Girls team, start the season strong!

“The Cross Country team has been amazing this season! Congratulations to all the runners for their accomplishments, and best of luck next weekend. I am so excited for the winter sports season to begin. All of our teams have their first home games this week, and I want to see everyone go support them!” – Lucia Reynolds (’20), Navy Captain