Inside the VALT: STATE CHAMPION EDITION: November 24 – 30

Colin Beazley, Staff Writer

All we do is win. Even if the school week was shorter than usual with Thanksgiving break, it doesn’t take anything away from the fact that Viewpoint Sports went undefeated last week. Every single varsity team won, usually by a large margin, and punctuated by possibly the biggest win in school history.

Cross Country

WE WON STATE! The Boys Cross Country team won Viewpoint’s first ever state title on Saturday at Woodward Park in Fresno, finishing with the seventh fastest time (for D5) in course history, and, as Coach Corneau says, “Hardware you can’t get at Home Depot.” The team scored 128 points for the victory, beating out rivals St Margarets, Flintridge Prep, and new competitors from all across the state. Senior Ronnie Orosky led the charge for the Patriots, placing 4th overall, followed immediately by Miles Clark (’21) in sixth. In his last Cross Country race for Viewpoint, and possibly his first without a mustache, Senior Thomas Matthew placed 8th with a 5k time of 16:05. Following to clinch the victory were sophomore Henry Didden, senior Marcus Intal, junior Ian Stentz, and senior Max Wolff. The team had a storybook season, and it’s truly incredible to see their hard work pay off in such an amazing way. For the Girls, senior Lizzie Scott ran her last race for the program on Saturday, finishing in 25th place with a new school course record. As for what’s next? The entire program enjoyed In N Out after the race and will finally get a well-deserved break… except for Senior Ronnie Orosky, who will represent Viewpoint at the Foot Locker Regionals in Walnut next weekend. Ronnie will compete against the best runners from the entire Western region, with every state from Wyoming to Hawaii represented. Congratulations to the entire Cross Country program on this historic victory, and best of luck to Ronnie next weekend!

Girls Soccer

The Girls soccer team was in action in Ojai last week, scoring 4 goals before halftime and cruising to a 6-0 dub against Villanova Prep. Junior Beth Cooper was the offensive catalyst for the team, scoring a first half hat trick. JiaLian Mackey (’23) added a goal in the first half, and fellow freshman Lexi Goodman added to the scoreline in the second half. The final goal was scored by sophomore Colette Samek, who scored just two days after competing in CIF Finals for the Cross Country team. The Girls play twice this week, against two of our biggest rivals. On Monday night, the team makes the arduous trek across the street to Calabasas High School to face the Coyotes, kicking off at 6:15. Then, on Thursday, the team begins league play at home against Brentwood, starting after school at 3:15. The team will also participate in the Newport Harbor Invitational over the weekend, but come out and support the team as they play their rivals!

Boys Soccer

The Boys team also played Villanova Prep last week, failing to live up to the Girls program with a mere 5-0 win. Senior captain RL Spivak led the way with a hat trick, with Eric Gunnarsson (’20) and Julian Najera (’21) finishing the scoring. Julian’s goal was particularly special, taking a volley from just inside the box and hitting it off the post and into the net. In other news, freshman Matthew Morales made his Varsity debut, playing nearly the entire second half in midfield. We also begin league play this week, starting immediately with one of our most important games of the season on Thursday night at 5:00 at Brentwood.

Girls Basketball

The Girls Basketball team continued the pattern of big wins last week, annihilated Poly on Tuesday night, winning 69-29. Freshman Karlee White nearly outscored Poly on her own, scoring 22 points for the Pats. Captain Vanessa Ogbu (’20) scored 11 points and dominated the boards with 14 rebounds, while Kayla Keshmeshian (’22) had a double-double with 16 points and 10 assists. The team is in constant action next week in our own tournament in the PFAC. The tourney starts Tuesday at 3:30 against Agoura, followed by Wednesday at 3:30 against Grace Brethren, before a brief break on Thursday. On Friday, they play at 3:30 against Golden Valley, before finishing the tournament over the weekend. Good luck to the team!

Boys Basketball

The Boys team went undefeated at all three levels last week, as the Varsity, JV, and Frosh teams combined to sweep Holy Martyrs in a tripleheader. The Varsity team’s win was a group effort, as five Patriots scored double digit points for a 73-60 win. The win was a partnership between youth and the veterans, as seniors Andrew Reyes and Roy Numa both scored 14 points each. The leading scorer of the game was Dante Ogbu (’23), who put up a double-double with 19 points and 17 boards. Freshmen guards Jordan Garrison and Giovanni Goree scored 10 and 12, respectively. The team will look to bring home some hardware next week in tournament play, competing in the Milken Tournament. On Monday, the team plays Holy Martyrs again at 4:30, followed by a 3:00 rematch of our first game against Shalhevet on Tuesday. Wednesday brings a new opponent, with a 7:30 tip against Pacifica Christian, before the tournament concludes with another game on Thursday. Good luck boys!

“Huge congrats to the cross country team who has worked so hard this whole year. We couldn’t be more proud of your success. Along with the other navy captains, I want to wish the boys and girls basketball teams a ton of success this season, and the best of luck in their upcoming tournament. We know they’re going to do great. The Navy also wants to wish the best to the soccer teams, as they head into their league matchups. We know they’re going to have a great season and keep dominating.” – Eli Kreshek (’20), Navy Captain