Viewpoint sports featured prominently in CIF’s 2018-19 Southern Section Academic Awards

Ben Moody, Editor-In-Chief

The winners of the 33rd Annual CIF Southern Section Academic Awards program were announced at the CIF Southern Section office on Tuesday, April 16th. A total of 20 Viewpoint teams were named in CIF’s official media release.

The team awards are based on a cumulative grade point average and are awarded in 24 team sports. 29 different CIF Southern Section member schools are represented amongst the winners, and entries from 1,811 teams were received this year.

To be considered, teams must have a minimum of five student-athletes with a minimum of a 3.0 GPA average (4.0 scale) in the first semester or first two quarters of the 2018-19 school year. The highest team GPA in each sport category by enrollment determines the winner. Schools are divided into two enrollment categories, 1499 and below and 1500 and above. Viewpoint, with an enrollment number of 508 students, are represented in the 1499 and below category.

Additionally, 151 student-athletes have each been named the individual “Student-Athlete of the Year” by their school. Each CIF Southern Section member school is required to name a male and a female “Student-Athlete of the Year” that must be a senior that has maintained a minimum gpa of 3.5 (4.0 scale) over the past three years, while also earning a letter in at least one varsity sport and participating in extensive extracurricular activities such as music, drama, or community service. Viewpoint’s two Student-Athletes of the Year are James Kasaba (‘19) and Lindsay Lipman (‘19).

A full list of all the sports teams represented in the 2018-19 CIF Southern Section Academic Awards is as follows:

Baseball came in 1st in their respective sport with a cumulative GPA of 3.82 while taking a total of 110 courses.

Boys’ Swimming and Diving came in 1st in their respective sport with a cumulative GPA of 3.87 while taking a total of 236 courses.

Softball came in 2nd in their respective sport with a cumulative GPA of 3.86 while taking a total of 88 courses.

Girls’ Soccer came in 3rd in their respective sport with an cumulative GPA of 3.8 while taking 157 courses.

Boys’ Volleyball came in 3rd in their respective sport with a cumulative GPA of 3.83 while taking a total of 53 courses.

Girls’ Swimming and Diving came in 3rd in their respective sport with a cumulative GPA of 3.88 while taking a total of 202 courses.

Girls’ Track and Field came in 4th in their respective sport with a cumulative GPA of 3.75 while taking a total of 80 courses.

Boys’ Basketball came in 5th in their respective sport with a cumulative GPA of 3.69 while taking a total 68 courses.

Girls’ Basketball came in 5th in their respective sport with a cumulative GPA of 3.83 while taking a total of 78 courses.

Teams that received an honorable mention include Boys’ Tennis, Girls’ Tennis, Girls’ Volleyball, Boys’ Track and Field, Boys’ Cross Country, Girls’ Cross Country, Football, Boys’ Golf, and Boys’ Soccer.